Thank you for your interest in ESMTB. We intend to protect your personal information and your right to privacy. If, after reading the information below, you still have any questions or concerns about our policy or our practices with regards to your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We collect only the personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when registering with ESMTB as Member, registering for an ESMTB-sponsored event, expressing an interest in obtaining information about us or our services, participating in activities on the Site (such as posting messages or applying for travel grants, for example) or otherwise contacting us. We do not collect payment information or IP addresses or any other indirectly obtained item.
Please note that we may also obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases (mainly name and email address from your University or Research Institution webpages).
In detail, the personal information we collect includes the following:
- Name and Contact Data. We collect your first and last name, email address, institutional postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
- Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access for the ESMTB webpage and ESMTB services.
The personal information we do not collect includes the following:
We do not collect data related to your payments, which are handled for us directly by the WildApricot platform.
We do not collect social media account details.
We do not collect IP address and/or browser and device characteristics, country, location, etc.
We do not collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
We use personal information collected as detailed above only for the purpose of sending you material (announcements and invitations), which we believe may be of interest to you and pertains to your research and teaching activity in theoretical and mathematical biology.
We process your personal information with your consent and in compliance with our legal obligations.
We use the information we collect or receive:
· To facilitate account creation and logon process (with your explicit consent).
· To send you announcements and invitations: you can opt-out of our announcements and invitation emails at any time (see the "Your Privacy Rights" below).
· To send administrative information to you: we may use your personal information to send you service and new feature information and/or information about changes in our terms, conditions and policies.
· To administer grants and competitions: this relates to travel grants, to the Heinrich Reinhard and Ovide Arino Prizes, etc.
· To administer ESMTB Board elections: when you as a full member express vote for representatives to sit on the Society’s Board.
· To request Feedback: we may use your information to request feedback and to contact you about your use of our Site.
· To protect our Site: we may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
· To enable user-to-user communications: we may use your information in order to enable user-to-user communications with each user's consent.
· To respond to legal requests and prevent harm: if we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
We only share and disclose your information in the following situations:
· Compliance with Laws. We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
· Vital Interests and Legal Rights. We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
· Service Providers. We do not share, sell, rent or trade any of your information with or to third parties for their promotional purposes. We may share your data with third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform services for ESMTB or on our behalf and necessarily require access to such information to perform those services. In particular, if you are a Member and entitled to receive the electronic version of Journal of Mathematical Biology, we will communicate your email address to Springer Verlag in order for you to receive it. In order to process your payments (membership fees etc.) we will refer you to a third-party bank.
· With your Consent. We may disclose your personal information for any other purpose with your explicit consent.
· Other Users. When you share personal information (for example, by posting comments, contributions or other content to the Site) or otherwise interact with public areas of the Site, such personal information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside the Site.
ESMTB is a registered Association Loi 1901 in France. Our servers are located in the Netherlands and the US, our banking services are located in France, our current Board Members operate from the Czech Republic, Denmark, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. Please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed by us in these countries.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, please also remember that we cannot guarantee that the internet itself is 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Site is at your own risk. You should only access our Site within a secure environment.
We do not knowingly collect data from children under 18 years of age.
If we learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at email@example.com
In the European Economic Area you have certain rights under applicable data protection laws. These include the right
(i) to request access and obtain a copy of your personal information,
(ii) to request rectification or erasure;
(iii) to restrict the processing of your personal information; and
(iv) if applicable, to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your personal information.
To make such a request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will promptly consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
We are relying on your consent to process your personal information: you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note however that this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before its withdrawal. If you are resident in the European Economic Area and you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here:
Opting out of email announcements and invitations: You can unsubscribe from our email list at any time by notifying email@example.com. You will then be removed from the email list. However, we will still need to send you service-related emails that are necessary for the administration and use of your membership, if still valid.
If you have questions or comments about this policy, email our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. or by post to:
European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology - ESMTB
Andrea De Gaetano – Privacy Officer
UCSC – CNR IASI BioMatLab
L.go A. Gemelli, 8 - 00168 Roma ITALY
In particular, if you are a resident in the European Economic Area, the "data controller" of your personal information is the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology itself, represented by Andrea De Gaetano, as above.