I am looking for two students interested in pursuing their PhD in Biophysics focused on understanding the biophysical limiting factors of patterning precision in developing tissues. The PhD studies will take place at the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Applied Computer Science of Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland. The positions are fully funded by the National Science Center Poland (NCN).
The project goal is to understand to what extent growth, cellular dynamics, biomechanical feedbacks and global mechanical constraints limit patterning precision in the growing tissue. The successful candidate is expected to actively take part in the project by proposing and analyzing models in the framework of theoretical and computational biophysics. The proposed models will be informed with high resolution experimental data provided by external collaborators.
The candidate is expected to have:
• MSc (or equivalent) in biophysics, physics, mathematics, computer science or similar, allowing application to the Doctoral School,
• excellent academic track record,
• interest in the interdisciplinary aspect of the project,
• experience with numerical solvers (C++, Python, Mathematica),
• proficiency in written and spoken English.
- interdisciplinary research on interface of physics and biology,
- research projects jointly with experimental labs (Austria, Poland),
- opportunities of research visits in collaborating labs and participation in international conferences.
The exact requirements, dates and details on application procedure are available at the webpage of Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences https://science.phd.uj.edu.pl/en_GB/rekrutacja/konkursy_otwarte/.
I encourage interested candidates to contact me in advance at email@example.com and provide CV, list of publications, and at least one recommendation letter. Further information on group activity is available at https://zagorskigroup.com/.
The application deadline is September 8, 2022.